Once again, PFLAG Tucson is very pleased to partner with the Alliance Fund of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona to offer scholarships to LGBT high school seniors, undergraduate students, graduate students and allies from southern Arizona or attending college here. The Alliance Fund has given us a $2,500 matching grant,so we will be able to offer at least five $1,000 scholarships in the name of Gene Moore in addition to our annual $1,000 scholarship in the name of Mark and Art Woodland.This year’s application materials are now available BELOW. We will make our award decisions in April, to be followed by our awards reception on May 3 at the Ward VI City Council Office.
2017-2018 Scholarship Information and Application Process
Application deadline is March 31, 2017 for FALL 2017
It is that time of year again… time to apply for a PFLAG Tucson/Alliance Fund Scholarship! This project is supported in part by funds from the LGBT–Straight Alliance Fund, a fund held at the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona. We anticipate awarding several $1,000 joint scholarships to LGBT persons or a straight ally to attend an institution of higher education. These scholarships were founded in memory of Gene Moore, beloved past president of PFLAG Tucson, and Mark and Art Woodland, son and husband of long-time PFLAG supporter Elaine Woodland.
Applicant can be a graduating high school senior, undergraduate student or graduate student from southern Arizona attending an institution of his or her choosing or a student coming to southern Arizona to attend a college or university here. The application deadline is March 31, 2017.
Scholarship requirements are as follows:
- Must be a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender person or straight ally from southern Arizona or attending an institution of higher education here;
- Must be accepted to an institution of higher education for the period for which the scholarship is requested.
A complete application packet shall consist of:
- the application (personal information page)
»Download application (PDF)
- an essay detailing the applicant’s plan for higher education, activities within the community, and why PFLAG Tucson and the Alliance Fund should award a scholarship to them
- 2 letters of recommendation (one must be from someone other than a family member) and,
- a copy of the student’s admission acceptance letter (if the applicant is a current student, then a copy of the most recent grade report)
The essay should be typed, double-spaced, no longer than two one-sided pages or one front-to-back page, and detailed enough to describe the applicant and his/her situation to the committee. Any information that is provided will be used only to select the most worthy candidates and will be kept in the strictest confidence. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at (520) 360-3795.
All information must be submitted to the following address in one envelope and postmarked by MARCH 31, 2017:
PFLAG Tucson Scholarship Application
PO Box 36264
Tucson AZ 85740-6264
The applications for the PFLAG Tucson Scholarships are reviewed by the Board of Directors, or by a committee established by the Board. Applications will be judged on an individual basis using only the information provided by the applicant. All applicants will be notified by mail of the committee’s decisions by April 30, 2017.