PFLAG Tucson is very pleased to partner with the Alliance Fund of the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona to offer scholarships to LGBT high school seniors, undergraduate students, graduate students and allies from the Tucson Metropolitan area or attending college here. This year’s application materials are available below. We will make our award decisions in April, to be followed by our awards reception in May at the Ward VI City Council Office.
2018 Scholarship Information and Application Process
Application deadline is March 31, 2018 for FALL 2018
It is that time of year again… time to apply for a PFLAG Tucson/Alliance Fund Scholarship! This project is supported in part by funds from the LGBT–Straight Alliance Fund, a fund held at the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona. We anticipate awarding several $1,000 joint scholarships to LGBT persons or a straight ally to attend an institution of higher education. These scholarships were founded in memory of Gene More, beloved past president of PFLAG Tucson, and Mark and Art Woodland, son and husband of long-time PFLAG member Elaine Woodland. This year we will also offer scholarships in honor of Norman “Mick” Meader, our PFLAG secretary who passed away last year.
Applicants can be either a graduating high school senior, undergraduate student, or graduate student and a resident of the Tucson Metropolitan area attending any school. The application deadline is March 31, 2018.
The requirements for a PFLAG/Alliance Fund Scholarship are:
- Must be a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender person, or a straight ally;
- Must be accepted to an institution of higher education for the period for which the scholarship is requested
A complete application packet shall consist of:
- The application (personal information page)
»Download application (PDF)
- An essay detailing the applicant’s plan for higher education, activities within the community, what will this scholarship mean to you and your family financially, and why PFLAG Tucson should award a scholarship to you.
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from someone other than a family member); and,
- A copy of the student’s admission acceptance letter (if the applicant is a current student, then a copy of the most recent grade report).
The essay should be typed, double-spaced, no longer than two one-sided pages or one page front-to-back and detailed enough to describe the applicant and his/her situation to the committee. Any information that is provided will be used only to select the most worthy candidates and will be kept in the strictest confidence. If you have any questions, please contact us or call us at (520) 360-3795.
All needed information must be submitted in one envelope and postmarked by March 31, 2018 to:
PFLAG Tucson Scholarship Application
PO Box 36264
Tucson AZ 85740-6264
The applications for the PFLAG Tucson scholarships are reviewed by a committee established by the PFLAG Board. Applications will be judged on an individual basis using only the information provided by the applicant. All applicants will be notified by mail of the committee’s decisions by April 30, 2018.